Monday, April 20, 2009

Brooke Shields: "I Wish I Had the Face I Had a Decade Ago"

In a revealing new interview, Brooke Shields - who turns 44 next month - says her age is making it hard for her to land roles in Hollywood.

"For years, I've been the youngest person on the set, and it occurred to me recently that I wasn't 26!" she tells May's More. "I'd read a script and say, 'Oh, that's a great character, that's something I'd love to do.' And they'd say, 'Um, no, we're thinking of you for the mother.' And then I'd say, 'Oh, of course! Of course! I knew that.'"

"There aren't a lot of movies out there for my age," adds Shields, whose NBC show Lipstick Jungle was canceled last year after two seasons. "They're still stopping at the mid-30s. Then you're Diane Keaton or Glenn Close ." (Keaton is 63; Close, 62.)

Can you believe these stars are in their 40s?

Shields -- who, at age 14, became the youngest fashion model ever to appear on Vogue and went on to be a Calvin Klein model -- says she sees ageism in advertising too.

See then-and-now shots of your favorite 90s models

"I always find it funny that so much skin cream advertising features, like, Jessica Alba ," she says. "She's gorgeous, and 12! Okay? They're all that age! I don't care how much La Mer I put on my skin, I'm not going to have Jessica Alba 's face!"

See Hollywood's most stylish moms

When it comes to her body, Shields says, "I'm proud of my longevity more than anything else. There's a lot to be said for endurance. I'm trying to find the beauty in the whole picture rather than the crows feet."

She adds, "Sure, I wish I had the face I had a decade ago, but I don't. People say, 'I love my wrinkles.' I don't love my wrinkles come on!"

See one of Brooke Shields' surprising older flings!

Still, she says, "When you see certain women that we knew when we were younger, like Angelica Huston and Isabella Rossellini, and they've grown older in the public eye, what you're responding to is their whole life imprinted on them."

No comments: