Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jon & Kate Plus 8 on Hiatus Until August

Jon & Kate Plus 8 will go on hiatus until August following the Gosselins' separation announcement on Monday's episode, TLC said in a statement.

"TLC continues to support the Gosselin family and will work closely with them to determine the best way to continue to tell their story as they navigate through this difficult time," the statement read.

The network said Monday's upcoming episode will be a retrospective clip show on Jon and Kate's 10-year marriage. The next new episode will air Aug. 3.

"During this time the family will take some time off to regroup and then a modified schedule will be in place to support the family's transition," the statement concluded.

TLC ordered 40 episodes for the season — the series' fifth — but only six have aired.

During their separation announcement on Monday's highly anticipated episode, both Jon and Kate said the show will continue. They said their children will remain in the Wernersville, Pa., home while they will alternate living there. "We interview separately, we'll film different things," Jon said. "Me and the kids, her and the kids."

Jon and Kate never used the word "divorce" to describe their plans in the episode, but Kate filed for divorce in a Pennsylvania court hours before the episode aired. On-screen text later in the episode said that legal papers were filed Monday to dissolve the Gosselins' marriage.

"Over the course of this weekend, Jon's activities have left me no choice but to file legal procedures in order to protect myself and our children," Kate said in a statement. "While there are reasons why it was appropriate and necessary for me to initiate this proceeding, I do not wish to discuss those reasons at this time, in the hope that all issues will be resolved amicably between Jon and myself. As always, my first priority remains our children."

Jon said in a separate statement on Monday that Kate filed divorce documents and that he is "deeply saddened" to be divorcing.

"This afternoon, Kate filed for divorce. Our kids are still my number one priority. I love them and want to make sure they stay happy, healthy and safe. My job is being the best, most supportive and loving father that I can be to my kids, and not being married to Kate doesn't change that," he said in the statement.

"This will be a difficult transition for all of us, but Kate and I will work out a schedule that enables our kids to have plenty of quality time with both of us at home in Pennsylvania. In terms of my marriage, it's no secret that the past six months or so have been very difficult for Kate and me. We are no different than other couples and parents who are facing a crossroads in their marriage. I am of course deeply saddened that we are divorcing."

No comments: